Orange City Office
Orange City is a residential city with a ‘small town’ feel in Volusia County, Florida. Given its location, the locals often refer to Orange City as the “Heart of Volusia County”.
In 1874, Dr. French and six friends purchased about 5,000 acres of land and started the town. It was later named Orange City in 1882 for the thousands of acres of orange groves planted in and around the city. The Big Freeze of 1894-1895 wiped out the citrus industry in Orange City — but the name stuck.
Orange City is one of the safest and most affordable neighborhoods in Volusia County. As per the 2012 census, the population of Orange City is 10,813, and the median resident age is 47.6 years. The per capita income for the city is $16,318. 9.9% of the population and 7.1% of families are below the poverty line. Estimated median house or condo value in 2011 was $63,142.
For residents, Orange City has enough public parks for your children run free or a Sunday picnic. Mill Lake Park, Veterans Memorial Park, Valentine Park, and Dickinson Park are the city’s most frequented public spaces. Dickinson Park even hosts a Farmer’s Market every Friday from 8am to 1pm. For dog owners, Waggin’ Trail Dog Park has two separate fenced areas: one for small dogs and the other for large dogs.
Orange City has two elementary schools – Manatee Cove Elementary School and Orange City Elementary School; a middle school – River Springs Middle School; and a High School – University High School.
Some of Orange City’s most famous attractions include the Albertus Cottage, 1876 Heritage Inn, and Blue Spring State Park. Dubbed ‘Home of the Manatee,’ Blue Spring State Park is the most notable park in Volusia County. This 2,600-acre manatee refuge allows visitors the opportunity to swim, snorkel, scuba dive, picnic, and when the weather is cooler, see manatees. The Dickinson Memorial Library, which still serves the City, was dedicated in 1919. Orange City has established its own Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Sites. In 1875, H. H. DeYarman founded the first hotel in what would become Orange City — and the hotel still exists as the 1876 Heritage Inn.
Orange City is connected to Interstate 4 and State Road 472 highway.