CELIAC DISEASE: WHO IS AT RISK?

By July 3, 2019 February 3rd, 2020 Blogs
Celiac Disease

Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition which hinders the villi in the small intestine from absorbing and digesting gluten (a protein found in wheat), which in turn leads to the deficiency of some certain nutrient that the body needs. Patient afflicted with this particular disease have to avoid gluten in order to be able to manage the symptoms. Some common symptoms include stomach ache, weight loss, anemia, foul-smelling stool, chronic diarrhea and many more.

When it comes to Celiac disease, this disease can be diagnosed in different ways, including blood tests, endoscopy, and genetic testing. Certain family histories can help identify people who are more at risk.

  • Individuals that are biologically related to a patient diagnosed with the Celiac disease are more likely to have the disease themselves. Celiac is a genetic disease, which means that when a close relative has Celiac disease, other close relatives are at high risk as well. http://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/risk-factors/. Based on a recent genetic research, about 5 to 10% of Celiac cases came to be as a result of genetic relations.
  • Two Genes are known to play a major, they are HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8. These two genes are partially responsible for a Celiac disease. Based on research, HLA-DQ2 genes are found in the genetic composition of 95% of patients suffering from Celiac disease. While the remaining 5% is HLA-DQ8. http://www.everydayhealth.com/celiac-disease/causes-risk-factors-what-know/ Nevertheless, testing positive to any of this genes does not guarantee the fact that a patient will suffer from Celiac disease. What it does means is that such a patient stands a higher risk.
  • Some autoimmune diseases can also open the window for Celiac disease. The body is a connected vessel. One effect hinders or promotes another disease. In the case of Celiac disease, certain thyroid diseases and diabetes type 1 are autoimmune diseases that can predispose one to Celiac disease.

Although Celiac disease has no cure, it can be managed if certain rules are followed. The only way to treat Celiac disease is by eating a strict gluten-free diet.

Conclusion

Celiac disease might not have a concrete cure, but this can be managed if you seek help from the right team. Here at Gastroenterology of Greater Orlando, our experienced physicians are well trained in diagnosing and treating this fairly prevalent disease. Feel free to visit https://greaterorlandogi.com to learn more.